Maximum score to be introduced for club champs
Drakensberg Gardens Golf Club will be the first club to introduce a maximum score for a strokeplay competition in club champs this year. This is according to the rules of golf as below. This will only apply to the A and B divisions because the C Division is playing the Individual stableford format.
The maximum score will be capped at 4 over par on any hole. Therefore:
- If you make an 8 on a par three you may mark it as a 7
- If you pick your ball up and walk to the next tee without holing out on a par 4 you will not be disqualified and may mark an 8 on your card
- If you make a 9 on a par 5 it stands(4 over par)
- If you make a 9 on a par 4 you may change it to an 8
The new Rules of Golf, effective 1 January 2019, recommends for stroke play competitions:
- A player’s score for each hole is capped at a maximum set by the Committee, which may be fixed (such as 6, 8, 10, etc), relative to par (such as two times par or triple bogey), or related to the player’s handicap (such as net double bogey).
- A player who does not complete a hole (often referred to informally as “picking up”) will not be disqualified, but simply gets the maximum score for the hole.